Meredith McBride is a trusted counselor, fierce litigator, and integral member of the Butler Tibbetts team. Meredith maintains a broad litigation practice, serving as a go-to resource for both individuals and businesses as they navigate disputes in and out of the courtroom. Focused on personal connection, she handles marital and family law matters, and also has extensive experience representing clients in the healthcare and managed care industries.
For marital and family clients, Meredith serves as a personal confidant, oftentimes transcending the role of legal advisor by carefully listening to and guiding clients through some of their most private and vulnerable moments in life. She handles all aspects of divorce and custody matters with discretion, sensitivity, and a deep understanding of how delicate these matters can be. Her practice covers pre-nuptial and post-nuptial agreements, separation agreements, parenting plans, trials, post-judgment litigation, and appeals.
On the healthcare side, Meredith provides counsel to hospitals, health systems, and physician groups in managed care litigation, payor disputes, regulatory compliance, and other matters. She has successfully pursued insurance companies for underpayment on claims for medical services rendered by providers, defended medical providers from audits and takeback claims from insurance carriers and state agencies, and advises clients on the intricacies of insurance and managed care law, including issues related to the Affordable Care Act (ACA), Employee Retirement Income Security Act (ERISA), and the New York Emergency Medical Services and Surprise Bills Law. Additionally, she assists individual patients in obtaining proper payment and coverage for medical claims.
Marital & Family: Favorable Judgement and Settlement
Part of a trial team that obtained favorable judgement on behalf of wife in a complex divorce proceeding. Discovered hundreds of thousands of dollars worth of cash and property fraudulently transferred out of the marital estate during the divorce, the award for which was upheld on appeal, including attorney’s fees. Additionally represented wife in settlement negotiations and post-judgment matters.
Healthcare: Takeback Claim
Represented physician group in a nearly $1 million takeback claim, disputing both the grounds and the calculation of the determination and resolving the matter for less than 5% of the alleged overpayment amount.
- Named one of Connecticut’s 10 Best Family Law Attorneys for Client Satisfaction by the American Institute of Family Law Attorneys (AIFLA), 2018-2019
- Recognized by Lawyers of Distinction for Excellence in Family and Divorce Law, 2018-2019
- Firearms and Domestic Violence: An Intersection that Challenges Safety and Pre-Suppositions, Session Panelist, American Bar Association, 2019
- Converting to the Cloud – Stormy Weather and Silver Linings, American Bar Association, Family Law Section News Letter, 2019
- Lead Counsel Rated
- American Bar Association, Fellow and Member
- American Bar Association Family Law Section
- Alimony & Spousal Support Committee, Member
- Alternative Dispute Resolution Committee, Vice Chair, 2019-present
- Assisted Reproductive Technology Committee, Member
- Law Practice Management/Technology Committee, Vice Chair, 2018-2019
- Liaison to Standing Committee on Gun Violence, 2018-present
- American Bar Foundation, Fellow
- Connecticut Bar Association
- Family Law Section, Executive Committee, 2018-present
- Young Lawyers Section, Executive Committee, Family Law Co-Chair, 2018-2019
- Young Lawyers Section, Executive Committee, Health Law Co-Chair, 2019-present
- Fairfield County Bar Association
- Family Law Committee, Member
- Health Law Committee, Member
- Connecticut Judicial Branch Attorney for the Minor Child/Guardian Ad Litem Training
- Stamford Family Volunteer Program
- Alzheimer’s Association Connecticut Chapter; Celebrating Hope and Walk to End Alzheimer’s Committees, 2016 Class of Women’s Champions
- Junior League of Stamford-Norwalk
- YWCA of Darien/Norwalk
- United States District Court for the Eastern District of New York
- United States District Court for the Southern District of New York
- United States District Court for the Northern District of New York
- United States District Court for the District of Connecticut